When I first started Martha’s Web, I had a silly domain name, keyboardpower.com. That came about because everything I tried with my name in it was already registered to a ‘household diva’ by the name of Martha. I just did not think about trying marthas-web.com with a hyphen in the name. So I registered the domain keyboardpower.com and went to work. I bought a copy of Microsoft FrontPage 2000 because I had a demo and it looked like I could do that without any problems.
I had so much fun and was so proud of myself when I came up with this little jewel:
Well, that was not too bad I guess. I thought it was wonderful! Never mind it was so bloated with code and so many coding errors it was a wonder it even loaded! Then after a while I decided to ‘make it over’. Then I came up with this version:
Now I thought it was so pretty! It had a site counter too! I started getting traffic, only because I put my website link in my email signature, but I thought I was really cooking!
Then I joined some FrontPage groups and started thinking, I needed a really cool template so I bought one and really went to town.
Wow, everyone told me they liked it! I thought it was wonderful! But then I started to really wonder about ‘bloated code’, pages that take too long to load, a few other things like alt tags, includes and really, what is this CSS that folks on these FrontPage groups were talking about?
I found another group that would help me learn Search Engine Optimization and get a lot more traffic. Well, that was just the beginning! I had to learn some HTML! Dang, I thought I was too old to start this HTML/CSS stuff! But then something else happened; I started using Firefox for security reasons and oh my heavens, my site looked awful in Firefox and I couldn’t figure out how to fix it!
I knuckled down and really started lurking heavy on my Front Page and SEO groups. (I probably should have asked more questions, but I just didn’t want folks to know how dumb I really was.)
I looked and looked for another web template that would look good in Firefox, but everything I found just didn’t seem right for me. So, I decided to make one. Now that sounds simple, but remember, I didn’t know HTML or CSS! So I decided to try a program that would help me make a template. I finally started to learn some HTML and eventually ended up with a fairly decent site.
After much changing and moving and trying things and with feedback from some of my online friends, I came up with this version of Martha’s Web:
Now my website looked the same in every browser, Internet Explorer, Firefox, Opera and a host of others. (I have a lot of browsers for testing!) But some people said the pages were hard to read. So now what? It took me almost two months to convert my website and I just don’t have time for that now. So maybe I need to try CSS! Thanks to the same group that helped me learn some HTML, I learned some CSS. I dumped the pictures at the top and created my logos in Xara Webstyle and made the color changes with CSS and the whole thing was done in less than a day!
My Xara Webstyle logo:
Then I redid it again.
Since then I have ‘redone’ my site twice and of course I was thinking about re-doing it again!
The last version of Martha’s Web before moving to WordPress:
I decided keeping this site current was starting to be a real hassle. Since I no longer use Windows XP, Vista, Windows 7 or Windows 8, I can’t do testing. Now there is HTML5 and trust me, this old brain struggled enough with the last HTML!
So, I decided to just make a new site and use WordPress. It is oh so easy!
Now you know why I am re-doing Martha’s Web. If I decide I want to change it again, I just get a new WordPress theme!